(Video by RavenU)
Where am I
WHEDONesque is a community weblog discussing the work of TV maker Joss Whedon. Anyone can post a story or comment to this site, as long as it pertains to Joss Whedon's work.
Share your views on Buffy, Angel, Firefly and any other projects in which Joss is involved. Blood and Burba weed will be served. Bring your own demon.
WHEDONesque.com is not in any way affiliated with Joss Whedon, Mutant Enemy, Fox, or UPN. This is an independent website, providing a non-profit platform for fans.
Huh... what is a weblog?
That's the million Euro question! A weblog (or 'blog') is a regularly updated site, with links to and commentary on information found on the web, posted in reverse chronological order (so that the latest post is always at the top of the page).
Forget that. WHEDONesque is where you catch up on all things Joss and discuss your favourite shows until the hellmouth freezes over.
But... who is Joss Whedon?
Screenwriter Joss Whedon is the writer, director, and producer of the TV series 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer', based on his 1992 film of the same name. Both Whedon's father and grandfather wrote for television. His grandfather wrote for various sitcoms in the 50's and 60's ('Leave it to Beaver', 'The Dick Van Dyke Show', 'The Donna Reed Show'). His father for shows such as 'Benson' and 'The Golden Girls'. He grew up in New York, and spent his high school years at an all-boy's school (Winchester) in England. After studying at Wesleyan University (Connecticut), he was hired as a writer for the sitcom 'Roseanne' and later worked on 'Parenthood'. He is the writer and creator of the comic series 'Fray'.
Joss sold his first script for the film Buffy the Vampire Slayer which was then made into a film in 1992 starring Kristy Swanson as 'Buffy' and Donald Sutherland as Buffy's first watcher 'Merrick'. Since then he has worked on scripts for 'Toy Story' (1995), 'Alien: Resurrection', 'X-Men' and (uncredited) 'Speed'. In 1997, he started the TV version of Buffy, which eventually launched a spin off series, 'Angel', in 1999. In 2003, Whedon produced a new Science Fiction series called 'Firefly', a western in space, which sadly was cancelled before it had a chance to find a larger audience, but a movie picture based on the series, 'Serenity' was made. Whedon also writes comics; Astonishing X-men, Runaways and 'season 8' of Buffy, published by Dark Horse in 2007.
What do all the different username colours mean?
"Admins are yellow, mods are blue, VIPs are purple, that means Joss, staff writers and actors too..."
So, what can I do here?
Well, we're too lazy to find content for this site so we are relying on you to fill these pages with links to stories and commentary on other people's posts. You will have to register first, which is an entirely painless process involving your e-mail address.
After registering, you will receive a confirmation e-mail. Please follow instructions in this e-mail to confirm your registration.
If you are new to this site, and to blogging in general, we recommend that you take some time to read the site before you jump into the fray. Try to get a feel for what is posted and discussed here. Once you're signed up, you will immediately be able to post comments to other people's posts. After a four day pending period, you can start posting your own story links.
How to post to WHEDONesque
- Front page posts must contain a link to a relevant site, or part of a site.
- The subject of the post must be in some way related to Joss Whedon's work.
- Posts about cast members, writers or other crew on the TV series are also encouraged.
- Do not post TV or radio listings without web content.
- Do not post links to paparazzi pics.
- Do not post links to your own stuff. It is considered bad etiquette to link to your own site, a site you are associated with, something you've written or designed, or something that's been written about you or your projects. This is not a place to advertise yourself or your homepage. Persistent self-linkers will lose their posting rights. Self-links will be deleted.
- Linking to your own stuff in the comments is acceptable, if relevant to the discussion.
- 'Shipping' is not allowed on Whedonesque. (What is shipping?) Any post or comment that is aggressively focused on any particular 'ship' or any particular actor and/or actively supports fan factions and feuds is subject to deletion. Its author will receive a warning, or, in case of severe or repeated transgressions, will face a time out and/or will ultimately be banned from this site. Usernames that reflect your shipping-preference are not allowed.
- Write a clear, unambiguous headline ("link title") where you can. This makes life easier for the people who import our headlines on their site. Also, please finish your link title with a period or full stop if it is a full sentence.
- We realise that a lot of good information comes from forums and boards that are often difficult to link to precisely. In these cases, we appreciate an approximate link (to the forum's main URL for example).
- When linking to a site that requires registration to read, please mention this in your post and/or provide a universal login.
- If you link to media files (audio, video, etc), please mention this in your post, and if possible, include the size and type of the file.
- Please do not link to illegal downloads of copyrighted material (like scans for example).
- If you think the material you are linking to is "work-unfriendly (i.e. for people reading in the workplace)", please give a warning such as "NSFW" (not safe for work).
- Do not copy and then post entire articles. It is OK to quote from articles, or to paraphrase. If necessary and possible, ask the copyright owner for permission.
- Do not discuss (fans on) other weblogs, forums, boards and sites. If you need to bitch/complain/vent, your own site or blog is the place. Generalising about groups of fans or fandoms is also strongly discouraged.
- Please be civil when commenting; name-calling -whether towards your fellow posters, the authors of linked articles, or other persons- is not permitted.
- Please use proper grammar, capitalization and spelling as best as you can. This will help keep the discussion on topic and it makes your posts easier to read.
- Don't sign your posts. Your (nick)name will appear below your post automatically. That means no sigs/quotes, etc.
- Read before you write, to avoid 'double posts'. Also please check the Deleted Posts blog to make sure that what you are about to post hasn't already been posted and removed.
- If you're unsure whether something has been posted or not, search for it using the search function in our archives.
- The admins' word is law. Board rules, policy and implementation will not be discussed on site. Please do not argue with the admins. If you have complaints, e-mail us.
- If at all possible, write your own description of the link. If you must copy and paste (small amounts) of text from other sources, please put quotation marks around the copied text.
- Due to a trend in the quality and tenor of discussion in the threads related to the ongoing comics series, we ask that if you flat out do not enjoy the comics, please refrain from posting repeatedly in comic-related threads to declare that fact. Note that this does not refer to posters who simply do not enjoy a particular scene or issue or arc.
Have a look at some 'examples'.
What makes a good WHEDONesque post?
- Think quality over quantity.
- Think of yourself as a filter. Only let the best stuff through.
- Think about your audience. Have they seen or read this before? Is the information useful? Will it lead to great discussion?
- When in doubt, e-mail a moderator and ask.
How to deal with spoilers
- Please do not put spoilers in titles or descriptions.
- We define spoilers as any information about episodes for any TV shows or other media (including those not Whedon-related!) not yet aired or published, or recently aired or published. People's viewing habits have changed and many use Tivo, DVR, iTunes or Hulu to watch shows in their own time. Also remember that people from all over the world visit Whedonesque.com.
- If you link to articles that contain spoilers, please tick the spoiler box option in the submission form. This will make a SPOILER warning appear in your post.
To hide spoilers within an ordinary thread please use the following code:
Here's a page with more 'How to' explanations.
A token of your admiration...
We have some banners for your website, if you want link to us.
If you like this site and want to help us pay our server costs, you could buy some Whedon related goods through our 'shop'. We receive a small percentage from Amazon through their affiliate programme.
If you prefer, you could also make a donation through Pay Pal:
With a little help from our friendsMany thanks to Derek and Tom, Low and Stuart for their help and suggestions during development. Herb, Simon, Sunfire, SoddingNancyTribe, Zeitgeist and Caroline take care of day to day moderation and administrative details.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer trademark (TM) and copyright (©) Fox and its related entities. All rights reserved. Any reproduction, duplication or distribution of these materials in any form is expressly prohibited. This web site, its operators and any content on this site relating to "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" are not authorized by Fox. Buffy the Vampire Slayer and its characters, artwork, photos, and trademarks are the property of Twentieth Century Fox, Joss Whedon, Mutant Enemy, and/or the WB Television Network, UPN. The webmasters are not affiliated in any way with the aforementioned entities. The information on this, and adjoining, pages is provided solely as an informative and entertaining resource. No copyright infringement is intended nor implied.
Angel trademark (TM) and copyright (©) Fox and its related entities. All rights reserved. Any reproduction, duplication or distribution of these materials in any form is expressly prohibited. This web site, its operators and any content on this site relating to "Angel" are not authorized by Fox. Angel and its characters, artwork, photos, and trademarks are the property of Twentieth Century Fox, Joss Whedon, Mutant Enemy, and/or the WB Television Network. The webmasters are not affiliated in any way with the aforementioned entities. The information on this, and adjoining, pages is provided solely as an informative and entertaining resource. No copyright infringement is intended nor implied.
"Firefly" trademark (TM) and copyright (©) Fox and its related entities. "Serenity" movie is the property of Universal Studios. All rights reserved. Any reproduction, duplication or distribution of these materials in any form is expressly prohibited. This web site, its operators and any content on this site relating to "Firefly" and "Serenity" are not authorized by Fox or Universal Studios. Firefly and its characters, artwork, photos, and trademarks are the property of Twentieth Century Fox, Joss Whedon, Mutant Enemy, and/or the WB Television Network. The webmasters are not affiliated in any way with the aforementioned entities. The information on this, and adjoining, pages is provided solely as an informative and entertaining resource. No copyright infringement is intended nor implied.