This site will work and look better in a browser that supports web standards, but it is accessible to any browser or Internet device.

Whedonesque - a community weblog about Joss Whedon
"I'd like to keep Spike as my pet."
11944 members | you are not logged in | 30 July 2014

May 16 2009

ABC renews 'Castle'. Seems like there's another Whedonverse-related show looking at a second season. The network also picked up V (starring Alan Tudyk and Morena Baccarin) and Amy Acker's 'Happy Town'.

Congrats to Nate!
Shiny!! This makes me so very happy. Now all I have to do is wait for the news about CHUCK.
Yes, Chuck getting renewed would make this day PERFECT!
Woohoo!
Yay for Nathan!
No. Words. Nnnn...nnnn...words. Too. Happy.
Congrats Nathan! And so now that Amy's on HAPPY TOWN, maybe Victor gets the Dr. Saunders personality?
Love Nathan. Love Castle. Extremely happy about its renewel. Now let's bring some of the that 'Verse luck to Chuck. Love that I can say 'Verse and luck in the same sentence.
Happy happy day!

Though this HAPPY TOWN thing doesn't sound SO good to me... =/
I am VERY happy! 'Castle' is coming back in the Fall? This is awesome news!
More squeeing from me!!!
Yippee, yippee, yippee!! Even my 11-yr-old son is excited about this since our whole family sits down to watch it. So happy!
Awesome. :D
Just read on Nicki Finke's page that NBC has renewed Chuck and Southland and intend to put both on Friday nights. If this ends up being true, it puts them up against Dollhouse if it's still on Fridays. I don't care one whit for Southland. But I hate to see my favorite shows competing against each other. Stupid move, if it's true.
I fully expected this, but it's still great news to hear.

Now for the waiting...
Wow, great day!
Aaaand, my dance of joy continues!
YAY! So now Nathan (Castle), Tony (Merlin), Amy & Eliza (Dollhouse) have second seasons this fall, and Adam might very well have a third? Fourth? What's up with Chuck?

Happy happy joy joy! Happy happy joy!
I love this show! I am so happy to know that Castle, Dollhouse, and (presumably) Chuck are all returning next fall! I'm sorry that there isn't much chance that T:SCC is returning, but evidently Summer Glau has a movie offer she can take, and that is pretty awesome!

MadMolly, maybe 'Chuck' (if it is on Fridays) will continue to run early, before Dollhouse begins. I hope.

[ edited by embers on 2009-05-16 03:09 ]
Even though I have yet to see it, I'm incredibly pleased for Nathan. And I've also added it to my to-watch list.
I love this night! Good news all around.
Did anyone notice in the Castle finale that Nathan wore a burgundy shirt and brown blazer? I enjoy the show, I pick it up right after 24!
Score. Now we can see what that cliffhanger leads to.
This is the best day ever. Maybe next they'll announce they're bringing back Firefly and we all get free cars.
I've avoided watching Castle so far because I really didn't feel like getting attached to yet another Fillion character only to have him disappear on me after an all too short single season. Happened with Firefly, Buffy and Drive so this time I decided to wait and see how things would go. Apparently if I don't watch then Nathan gets to keep a role for longer than a season. Go figure.
Oh, yay! [Does the Snoopy dance for days]
Well now that's nice news to start the weekend!
yeah l am feeling the 2nd season
YAY! I'm in love with Castle right now, it's such a great show.
I wonder how this bodes for The Unusuals ... Hopefully well.
That's great news. I'm happy for Nathan and everyone involved on the show.
BrewBunny, the last I had read around the internet, The Unusuals is pretty much a goner...I tried watching it, and it didn't grab me at all.

Southland seemed to be The Wire lite, which only made me want to watch The Wire, but it seemed to be a relatively interesting cop drama. I wasn't wowed by The Unusuals.

I'm so glad Nathan and Castle are back...I've really been enjoying the show, and no it's not mindbending drama...but it's extremely entertaining and fun, and don't we all like having fun? Nothing wrong with that. And his relationship with his family gets equal time as his relationship with the cops, which warms my little character-driven heart.
Am I correct in saying that this will be the first time ever that Nathan has gotten to continue on a show for more than one season? Looks like our boy Fillion has finally graduated to the big time! Congrats to him!
SteveJ2008: If you mean a show he started on from the beginning, I think so. But he was on Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place (later just Two Guys and a Girl) for several seasons.

Speaking of shows with Whedon alumni, does anyone know the latest on Bones? Last I heard, it still hadn't been renewed for some reason.
I'd forgotten about Bones. Good question.
Congrats Nate dawg! Castle will be premiering on Sunday in Australia this week, so I can't wait to see it! *gives everyone on the internet a group hug*
Awww, yay! Congrats Nate! I'm so glad it got renewed. This is great news :)
Great news! Judging the last two weeks of ratings, I'd rather thought it would be renewed. In fact, over the last week I had been working on a fansite for it. Glad to know my efforts weren't wasted. ;-)

Assuming it's okay to post a link? Castle Info Archive

If not, feel free to remove (obviously).

He was on Two Guys, a Girl, and a Pizza Place for three seasons!

(Or one season. And then on Two Guys and a Girl for two more seasons!)
This is great news. Everyone in my family watches Castle and loves it. It's fun. :)
Congratulations Nathan!
And happy days to all of us...this has sure been a fine one.
What a day, saw Star Trek (it was great!!) and then all this wonderful news that just keeps coming and coming!! I think my head is going to explode from happiness!!
More excellent news. Can such a weird day for me end so happily? Congrats, Nathan!!
This doesn't come as a surprise. Castle was getting pretty decent ratings and I'm glad that this show is doing well for Nathan's sake.
I get the combining.... but then why did all our lovely discussion on Amy have to go away?
Yeah, we had a good discussion going: Saunders, dolls who are self-aware, BSG and Amy Acker in tight leather. I hoped that the comments would be chucked in here
oh the tight leather... I think I can safely say that Amy is unanimously gorgeous in leather and a slightly sadistic smile
Seeing as I'm in a happy place, a one-off.

I know it's common for actors to sign a contract that says that if their original show is picked up they have to be released to do that, so Happy Town may have to find someone else.
Or maybe since Amy was only recurring she isn't contracted to do S2? :O

Hope we find out soon, the Whiskey storyline is the one I most want to see!

zz9 | May 16, 06:38 CET

Agreed zz9 - Whiskey's story is at the top of my list. I heart Amy Acker's talented self. It would be great if she could somehow do both but I certainly hope priority is given to DH - if the show needs one thing it's more Whiskey.

onthedrift | May 16, 06:41 CET

I really hope she's in Dollhouse season 2 quite a bit. Having her aware that she's a doll and deciding that her imprinted personality is who she really is makes her a fascinating character and, incidentally, a lot like (Battlestar end of season 3 spoiler here for those who haven't watched the show yet) Colonel Tigh. 'I'm Saul Tigh ... And if I die today that's the man I'll be'.

Plus, I could stand to see Amy in leather again. And I don't normally even find that very attractive (I mean, when Willow is in leather I still just think 'awwwwwww')

[ edited by Let Down on 2009-05-16 06:43 ]

Let Down | May 16, 06:43 CET

I agree with everything said on this page.

But it's a great day for Whedonverse actors, isn't it?

ThorpeWithoutShrimp | May 16, 06:45 CET

It is a great day for Whedonverse actors (and all us fans too!!!).

Firefly Flanatic | May 16, 06:49 CET

Yup. zz may be right about the contract, I don't really know. But maybe if Joss is serious about really pursuing the Whiskey story line, she'll be elevated to a "starring" status in the show.

I really think that's the only way to keep her because it sounds like she'd be starring in the new show. And I think Joss always tries to accommodate actors which is why they like him.

azzers | May 16, 06:49 CET

Yeah, here's hoping we can have our cake and eat it too: all the extra Amy on our screens is a plus. I'd totally watch this show just for Amy and would very much like to see her return in Dollhouse as well.

Also: the Whiskey storyline is pretty high on my wish-list as well. Self-aware dollage = good.

GVH | May 16, 06:51 CET

With the amount she's been in the show she's practically a main character anyway. With a little bit more screen time and appearances in every episode she could easily be put into the main credits

Incidentally, for season 2 I vote for new opening credits! With all the main characters shown. I find the current ones a bit lacklustre and I'm still a tiny bit disappoined that the show creators commissioned an excellent theme song and then used the drabbest (sure it's a word) part of the song for the opening

Let Down | May 16, 06:53 CET

I too, would really love to see new opening credits that feature ALL of the cast...and not just Eliza batting her eyelashes at the camera. I have to add that I have never disliked a theme song as much as I dislike the 'Dollhouse' one- inasmuch that I even frantically mute it at the beginning of every episode. YMMV.

I would love to see more of Saunders/Whiskey- but how nice that our Whedony actors are in a position today to actually choose between projects?

missb | May 16, 07:05 CET

Have you listened to the full song? Hear in full it's actually pretty great IMO

Let Down | May 16, 07:15 CET

I love the Dollhouse theme music. What's the name of the full song?

John T. Folden | May 16, 07:22 CET

The song is "What You Don't Know" by Jonatha Brooke, but I haven't seen anywhere to purchase it online. Maybe Fox will release an official soundtrack now that there's going to be a second season. :)

And I agree with LetDown. I'd much prefer that the first thirty seconds or so of the song be used since the lyrics fit very well, but I do like the little music box-esque part at the end.

[ edited by CrazyKidBen on 2009-05-16 07:28 ]

CrazyKidBen | May 16, 07:24 CET

Have you ever watched Enterprise?

jkalderash | May 16, 07:26 CET

I wonder what this means for her character on Dollhouse.

Ameer | May 16, 07:30 CET

I'm definitely torn, either way Amy chooses I will be happy to get a fix of her. I LOVE the way the Whiskey/Saunders storyline was going, but I adore Amy and think she's good enough to hold her own as the lead. (And don't you think it's about time?)

If you look at the cast on IMDB, you can get a sense of the line-up and I think a feel of what the show would be like and I have to say I'm digging it. The production team seems like they might have a shot too. Let's hope it all comes together, if she does chose Happy Town.

mariec | May 16, 07:32 CET

For those of you who haven't seen it, Castle is definitely worth watching. Not as intense as Bones, but the light-hearted humor is right along the vein where Nathan does best.

Nothing mind-bending (it's puzzling at best), but the ride is definitely enjoyable. The characters are likable and Nathan has a way of making sure the spotlight is on him and making double-y sure that everybody within winking distance gets pulled in too.

I'd check out the first episode, it's a pretty good gauge as to the rest of the show.

But seriously, it's *Nathan*! I mean, he's got us talking about this TV show he's on that has NOTHING to do with Whedon. V's got two of the beloved Firefly crew and Terminator is both sci-fi and on the same night as Dollhouse, so there's some inevitable bleed through. But Castle is just Nathan allowed to be his lovable self. Whether that's something you want in a TV show is up to you.
YAY! thank you Simon :) hope your happy place lasts - mine is good for the rest of the month at least if I had to wager
Thank you Simon! I'm so happy for all of our Whedon peeps!
Thanks Simon
Dollhouse? Castle? V coming back?

Truely the FSM has blessed us all today.
His Noodly Appendage liked how Mellie kept making pasta for Paul
Woohoo. Two renewals, One day. How much better could this day become?

SteveJ2008 | May 16, 04:43 CET

There's no way they won't renew Bones. It's doing really well on Thursdays and has proven to be a real utility player for Fox.
Really happy about Castle renewal - great cliffhanger on the finale.
They better renew Chuck as well, the full 50 episodes - or I shall grumble and the world is unfair.... wait, it is unfair - waaaaa *grumble*
For some reason, I don't see NBC not renewing Chuck. It's numbers have been fairly consistent this season and critics love it. I have a feeling they'll order at least 13 episodes.
I'm pompous and my sister is crazy. This is the best day ever!
Good for Castle, I think I'd like yet another procedural to start watching (since I've somehow started watching loads). And, Cougar Town sounds... weird, but I have faith in Bill Lawrence (and Acker).

V, I'm not so sure about, having not seen the original miniseries. Will watch, though!
Happy Town? If that means Amy won't be in season two, then it sucks. :(
I haven't seen the original miniseries either but I'm looking forward to watching the new show because of Morena and Alan.
Dr. Saunders was always interesting but the twist at the end was so compelling that I hope she can continue somehow! In some ways, she is what Echo is becoming - a self-aware doll. It would be too easy to just give Victor the job of Doctor and I would really miss all the characters that Enver plays.

And hooray for the Castle pickup. It is the lightest of the shows I watch, but fun.
I wanted to watch the original V -- it was meant to be good, but it looked a little dated, so now I'll just wait for the remake instead and hope it improves on the original ( la BSG).

Also, a humorous tweet from Jewel Staite:

V got picked up!! Congrats Morena, we knew that long alien-like neck of yours would come in handy someday! well deserved...

apparently we may have to wait to see Morena and Alan ... according to this ... maybe alpha assembles a team (all shot on green screen).

But can she eat a hamster whole?
apparently we may have to wait to see Morena and Alan
Maybe the cost of building the spaceship sets are too high to be viable for only six episodes?
Yes! This is defiantly the cherry, chocolate sauce, whipped cream and tiny rainbow sprinkles on the sundae that is the Dollhouse renewal.
In some ways, she is what Echo is becoming - a self-aware doll.

I was wondering if anyone else was feeling that way. In some ways I felt that we were following the wrong Doll because we were waiting for Echo's realization and then Whiskey/Saunders got there all on her own.
echo keeps getting wiped - that's the difference
Also, Echo's imprints have no knowledge of the Dollhouse, what they can do and how it works. Saunders clearly has.

To any of Echo's personalities the Dollhouse would be science fiction.

Maybe that's why Claire Saunders was so philosophical? She's been helping the Dollhouse for months, she can't really morally complain just because she finds out she was one of them.

Still reminds me of Dawn. She must wonder just how far back "her" memories actually go. Alpha's attack? A month ago? Two days ago? When does she end and Topher's work start?

[ edited by zz9 on 2009-05-16 18:32 ]
Yay! What an awesome fan season I'm having! :) of the shows I watch:
Castle - Renewed!
Scrubs - Renewed!
Survivor - Renewed (knew that)
Ghost Whisperer - Renewed!
Dollhouse - Renewed!
Fringe - Renewed!
House - Renewed!
Prison Break - Cancelled
Chuck - good signs to be renewed
The Office - Renewed!
Life - Cancelled
Smallville - Renewed!
Supernatural - Renewed!
Reaper - not looking good

The only ones that upset me are Life and Reaper. (I was only still watching Prison Break for lack of anything else at that time)

I can now enjoy my summer guilty pleasure So You Think You Can Dance
I'm bummed about Life too.
yeah. Life was fantastic. I'm not sure how more people didn't pick up on that. :(
I see Bones apparently just got its (unofficial) official pickup.
Yeah, Ausiello just twittered Hart Hanson: "Just got a call from Fox Exec James Oh with an official unofficial pick-up. BONES is back for Season V!"

[ edited by Ameer on 2009-05-16 21:43 ]
Yeah, a shame about Life but in the grand scheme of things I really don't feel like I can complain this year. I've got new episodes of Dollhouse, Castle, Lost, 24, Supernatural, Dexter, Californication, Doctor Who, Torchwood, Stargate Universe, Fringe and (at some point) Caprica all to look forward to. Not to mention any potential new shows that may interest me. The only shows I lost this year that I will really miss are Battlestar Galactica and The Shield, both of which ended on their own terms anyway. All in all, not a bad result as far as my viewing pleasures are concerned.
Excellent news for Castle! I've really been enjoying that show. Nice to hear that Happy Town was picked up. It has canceled written all over it, but I shall enjoy it while I can.

The V pick-up is for a limited series, yes? That is what I have heard elsewhere.
"Hang on, how many times can Morena play the leader of an alien race trying to take over the Earth?"

Wow, I always thought that the whole "Companion" thing was a cover story but I never would have guessed that Inara was an alien or that her people were planning on taking over the Earth. Especially as the planet was kinda used up by that point. Puts a whole new spin on sleeping your way to the top, huh?

Oh, you mean Stargate? Riiiight... ;)
I've seen the pilot for HAPPY TOWN and it was pretty bad. It has a good cast, but the writing really isn't there. It felt unintentionally campy (and not even in a "so bad it's good" kind of way.) Amy was very good in her limited role as the town sheriff's wife, but I'd obviously much rather see her continue as Dr. Saunders/Whiskey. And I liked Sam Neill as the mysterious owner of the town's film memorabilia shop.

I'm definitely looking forward to V. And I'm hoping CASTLE can pick up a few good writers over the summer (maybe some from the sadly cancelled LIFE). I like CASTLE's cast, but I always feel like I'm a step ahead of the detectives.
I like Happy Town's premise, but I prefer Amy on Dollhouse, obviously.

Without Virtuality, I'm dying to see the new V and FlashForward.

WindTheFrog, my family and I like to play the game of "who can guess the murderer in the first 5 minutes?". That's how easy it is, but I kind of like it that way. Mondays are murderous at work, so it's nice to kick back and have some easy comedy to comfort myself with.

Your review of Happy Town doesn't sound like it'll make me happy. I'd much rather her be Whiskey then on Dollhouse.

And I'm definitely looking forward to V in the ways that I looked forward to BSG. If they do it right, it could be awesome!

What's FlashForward?
bonzobDid Life get a lot better as it went along? Because, as we know from Dollhouse, that can happen, but I thought the pilot was God-awful. Weak acting by everyone not the lead, a lame mystery, and a cliched premise that attempted cash in on all the latest TV trends. I never watched it again.

To each their own I guess. I thought the pilot was one of the best I had ever seen. I enjoyed season 2 more than 1 due to the addition of Donal Logue.
Step one: go to Canada. Relax.

Somebody better remind him he has to come back at some point....
I've been a big fan of Sam Neill since his lead in Reilly, Ace of Spies (a BBC docudrama that found its way to PBS). I'll check out Happy Town for him, but it doesn't sound like my kind of show.
I will be joining you in the So You Think You Can dance watching CrystalSC
Would anyone know when/if Castle will be airing on Ireland/UK tv any time soon??
I asked on Twitter for you, the consensus seemed to be that the show hasn't yet been picked up.

Televisionary made an interesting point

The fact that it only had a first season of 10 eps makes an international sale trickier. Most int'l broadcasters require 13 eps

You need to log in to be able to post comments.
About membership.

joss speaks back home back home back home back home back home